Cooking Syrup

Cooking Syrup
Cooking Cane Syrup in fall 2010

Monday, October 10, 2011

History of the Family Cooking Syrup

Our family has been cooking syrup for three generations. My great grandpa cooked syrup years ago. I still have some of the same cane he used to cook with through replanting of the cane over the years. The cane however was somewhat lost until my great uncle Elwin decided to start cooking syrup in the 1980s. He was then given the cane great grandpa had used by some of our relatives who grew cane and had received some seed cane from great granddaddy before he quit growing it. He cooked until about two years ago when I started to cook some. It has always been a family tradition in which the whole family helps with the work and uncle Elwin still is a huge help in the process and is always there for advice and moral support. I hope to keep the tradition alive as long as I can with the help of the family because without that it won't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment